Welcome to Fishmadman and the world of fly fishing with wake, riffling hitch and dry flies
Fly fishing for salmon and steelhead in the surface is probably the most exciting sports humans can venture into – This form of fly fishing has become increasingly popular in the last 60 years – but anglers have most likely been fishing steelhead and salmon on the top since the birth of fly fishing
We collect information about our sport – and design some of the best flies for the job
READ MORE ABOUT OUR MISSION
THINGS WE WORK WITH
On the Fishmadman site, we will try to highlight the essences of surface fly fishing. We hope to do so by showing you technique, know-how and some of the many fascinating flies made for our sport.
SURFACE FLY PATTERNS MADE ON TUBE IS OUR SPECIALITY
Dry fly – Wake fly – Skaters – Riffling Hitch fly tied on the tube will give you a feather-light solution that stays on top and perform better than most of their counterparts tied on long shank hooks. We have multiple pages on Fishmadman showing you how to do such tube flies
THE WORLD OF THE BOMBER FLY
During summer we stay at salmon rivers in Norway – and when the conditions are right we will tie on a dry fly like a salmon Bomber. On our pages, you will find Bombers literally cut into shape at the river bank.
Just like we make flies tuned to the rivers we fish – other anglers will have made trout and salmon Bombers honed just for their district, river and even special pools – We try continuously to collect this information and publish it on our pages and blog. Read more
BOMBER DRY FLY ON TUBE
Our Bomber dry flies are tied on a tube. A design we developed in 1995 and still work to refine and perfect. On our pages, you will find thorough illustrations that could aid you to develop your own surface flies tied on a tube. Read more
RIFFLING HITCH & WAKE FLY ON TUBE
Riffling Hitch as a technique emerged during almost a century of fly fishing traditions. Allegedly the method was generated as a coincidence, by Canadian`s – who in Victorian days would have recycled damaged gut-eye flies and tied them directly to the leaders using a series of hitches – Herby the fly could have trailed to the surface creating the all-important Riffling Hitch wake. Read more
We as many other European anglers will tie Riffling Hitch flies on a tube and on our pages you will find special Riffling Hitch and wake flies done on our Riffling Hitch tube design – See the comprehensive pages on How to work with tube flies on the surface. Read more
THE TUBE FLY – ANOTHER ACE ON YOUR HAND
The tube fly has been part of the European fly box since the 1940s and anglers have ever sins been developing fly patterns on a tube that would suit different rivers and seasons. A fly tied on a tube could look and work like any other fly tied on a single salmon hook – But it can also be
something completely different – with abilities that go beyond any fly you have tried… tap into our vast knowledge base on tube fly know-how – and get another Ace on your hand.
SUPERIOR SALMON AND STEELHEAD FLIES
Passion & curiosity for flies and fishing is what determines our editorial line on Fishmadman – and we have collected some of the most interesting flies on our page: Flies like General Practitioner, Brooks Sunray Shadow, Collie Dog, The Frances Fly, and a Micro Conehead fly like the Kinnaber Killer.
Dry fly regards
The Fishmadman Team
Our 4 main pages on Fishmadman...
Some selected pages from our blog
Much much more information about riffling hitch, salmon dry fly and steelhead wake fly
Fishmadman.com is a pretty big site and we keep on adding information that we find interesting - We do our best to link the information together so you get the ideal experience when you visit our site - Here we have gathered a list of some of the pages salmon and steelhead anglers visit on a regular basis when they come to fishmadman.com
Things to see on Fishmadman
- Would you like to see some of the many creatures Atlantic salmon and steelhead feed on at high seas?
- The tube fly system was probably invented by the Scotsman Alexander Wanless
- Tubes for tube flies is a specialised part of the fly tying kit
- Do Atlantic salmon feed in Freshwater? - Some of them actually do
- We do a special newsletter on our sport - See some earlier letters here
- The Monster Tube Caddis is a special salmon dry fly that attracts salmon and steelhead across the Northern Hemisphere
- Deadlifting dry flies for salmon and steelhead…see our comprehensive page on the subject.
- See the story about these special flies and the people who made them
- Snell´s Window is the term for the optical perception fish have underwater — see it explained
- Learn how we prepare our deer hair flies prior to fishing
- Fishmadman is a small family business of some very dedicated fly fishermen — Read about Us
- Here you will find a comprehensive portfolio on some of the many fantastic hooks you can use on your tube flies